Sunday, August 15, 2010

hard days night... He's been working like a dog

   It's just after midnight and I'm debating whether or not I want to wait for the hubs to arrive home. I really have no clue how he's actually functioning at this point. He has worked about 45 hours in the last 3 days. Football season is coming up and they are designing the Daily Herald's annual Football Special Section so when your big fat paper arrives Thursday morning with everything you could possibly want to know about the upcoming football season in it, please reverently flip through the pages and notice the amazing placement of photos, beautifully designed graphics and info boxes — feel free to ooh and aah — and notice the fonts aren't just any fonts, but ones chosen by my other half, who, along with the other sports designer at the Herald, designed and created the nearly 40-page section by themselves over a rough 3 ½ days.

Work for me continues to go well, which I feel super-duper thankful for. If anyone reading this also happens to trust their hair to my hands, know that the hair part is fine... it's good. The other stuff, that it takes to be self-employed is really getting worse by the minute. I cannot keep my phone calls and appointments straight. There is no reason in the world that it ought to take me a week to return someones call but it frequently does and if only I had some wonderful excuse for my tardiness... i don't. So something has got to give right? I have been muling over ideas for a few months now and I really like the idea of having someone do it for me.... passing the buck... delegating the responsibilities. My idea is to hire someone to answer my cell phone that will now be my work phone. If you were to call my #, expecting to hear me, but instead got a person... a receptionist of sorts answering calls, would this be off putting. I think for now I am going to try this out with my mother-in law. There seem to be things already in place that would simplify this process, so a trial run will be good. having a little less personal phone time with yours truly would be a welcome swap for getting a same (or next) day return phone call right? Please let me know any thoughts...
   P.S. I just styled hair for a wedding party in Salt Lake yesterday. I just love, love doing that. It makes me feel good. It's like sculpting... you should try it sometime.
   

5 comments:

MoJo said...

Good job on the good business! I think having your own receptionist would be a good idea if you can do it.

Heidi said...

I have no problems with a receptionist for phone calls, as long as I get you for hair cuts. Sounds like a great idea.

Lobdell family said...

I think that is a great idea. I hope it works out for you.

Valerie said...

I completely understand why you would want someone else to handle that part of it. I doubt most people would mind at all.

Glad you had so much fun with the wedding hair. Maybe someday you can do mine--if I ever get married again. :)

Shelton and Bethany said...

I love it when you do wedding hair as well. :) I have our wedding picture up in our house and people comment on your style all the time. Good luck with your new work ideas... I'm sure it will work out- everyone who comes to you comes because you're great at what you do... the method of getting a hold of you won't change what people love.