Sunday, April 4, 2010

Easter Dresses!




I cannot figure out how to fix this layout and I'm tired of trying... sorry

My Brain has been elswhere the last few months and sewing is a lot harder than I thought it would be. But... I finished my pillowcase project. Remember this. Im not super good at following through with my big fat ideas and my skill level does'nt equal said ideas either. but all in all, im pretty darn proud of myself. I'm a sucker for anything vintage, so when Steves Grandma gave me a stack of hand crocheted pillowcases, I saw my life flash before my eyes. My mom shares my appreciation for old things, especially when accompanied by a family connection. She saw the pillowcase i picked out for Sophie and she hijacked the project. What was supposed to be a teaching/learning experience turned into a dress from Grandma buddy.... but man she did an amazing job, I love it. (i picked the pattern out so I guess I had a little hand in it.) I made Steves brothers little girls their Easter dresses. What a learning experience. Malia's (pink one) was originaly white. I really had to fiddle with the fit of this one and seeing as the only 5 year old I had on hand is one that is not too fond of wearing pink dresses, I had to do a lot of bribing and blindfolding. Aspens dress went along really well... so I thought. I left it at my moms and she just couldn't let my "first-time-sewer" flaws go. She took it apart and had me do an entirley new dress. Yes, I was i little ticked, but I do have to say that the second dress was hugely better than the first. Emma lives in Florida so she wasn't here to be in the pictures but Jeff and Patricia took some for me. I was so excited how hers turned out. For a while there I was feeling like it was going to be the dumpy one of the bunch. it looked very much like a potato sack. Sooo, I shortened the ruffle on the bottom, on attatched a little ribbon belt and  'voile! tres chic. 

What I leared is.... -I reeally like to sew. 
-little girls dresses are the wa to start. 
-using a pattern eliminates a lot of unecessary trial and error and guess work... especially for a novice.

Miss Malia, she just turned 5 and is way to cool to smile when someone plays peek-a-boo.
Malias dress was my no-pattern attempt. A LOT of love and swearing went into this one.































































I was told by Emmas Daddy that her Favorite color is yellow, so this one had to be hers. It is just so sunny. I really love how it turned out. My mom just happened to have a whole bolt of this pretty fabric. It is so soft and sweet, I stole some to make something for soph. 


Now I just need to decide what my next project is going to be.  

4 comments:

{lizzythebotanist} said...

stacy!!! they are SO so so so cute. barbie brought soph's by yesterday so i got to see that one in person-excellent work. i'm now on the hunt for some crochet work to try one of my own. i really love the pink one, too-so flapperesque. good job!

Losee's said...

I am so impressed!! They turned out so cute, and little Soph looks like a little doll...so pretty!

Carolyn said...

sooo cute!! well done. I love all the vintage crochet details.

FJ Johnson said...

The dresses turned out so cute. You are so talented